Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Teagan's first day of school!

Teagan had her first day of school today. I was super nervous about it, and talked to Teagan about school a lot in the last couple of weeks. We talked about what she would do at school, who her teacher was, what kids would be there, and that mommy wouldn't be staying with her. She always seemed very cool with that fact, but I wasn't so sure how she'd react when the time would come.

So last night, I put the girls to bed at 7:45pm and they were sleeping by 8pm. And I cleaned and prepared for the morning until about 11pm. I could have went to bed earlier, but I just a ball of nerves. I did my routines (Flylady.com rocks my world), and had everything set up for an easy morning.

At midnight, Ever woke up fussing. And she stayed awake nursing, climbing on me, screaming and pinching me (because she wanted me to get up), and babbling until about 5:30am or so. I got NO sleep, and thought that it was going to throw a huge wrench in the whole day.

But I got my butt up out of bed at 6:45am, got dressed, curled my hair, put some makeup on, changed Ever's diaper, and made breakfast. Teagan woke up and the girls ate while I threw laundry in, put the dry dishes away, and cleaned up the breakfast mess. Then I cleaned the girls up, put Teagan's hair up, and got them dressed with the clothes I laid out the night before.

And I got all of this done easily in less than an hour! I was so freaking proud of myself, you just don't even know LOL.

I grabbed my bag, my list, and Teagan's backpack and we were out the door. On time. No, better than on time. EARLY.

I'm pretty sure that's a first for me.


We got to the school with Teagan about squealing in her carseat. I took her to her classroom, and Teagan found her cubby (all by herself!). She hung up her coat and her backpack all nice and neat, and we headed to their bathroom to wash her hands (Mrs.Y's rule, which I appreciate). We found her nametag, and put it on her shirt (which she loved so much!). A little girl who was also there early was a bit upset that her mom was leaving, and Teagan was so sweet to her. She told her "It's ok, she's comin' wight back, it's ok", took her by the hand, and they went to play with the toys. I told Teagan I was leaving then, and she came and gave me a kiss and a squish (what she calls a hug) and said "Ellalee stay here?". "No, Everleigh is coming home with mommy." And with that, she gave her "Ellalee" a kiss and a squish and ran off, yelling "I love you more!" as she went.

And then I teared up... just a bit. My little girl.... so secure and wonderful and happy. Ready for the world! I hung out outside the door for just a bit before heading to the car again. She was happy to stay with Mrs. "Hung" (I laughed so freaking hard when she repeated Mrs.Young's name to me!) and the kids, as she likes to call them lol.

When I came to pick her up, she gave me her big grin and said "HI MOMMY!" and then "I WASHED MY HANDS!"... "Oh wow!... That's so awesome Teagan!" I said with a grin to rival hers.
Apparently that's all they do in preschool these days.

In the car she told me she colored and played with the kids and had milk too. Phew. At least they aren't teaching my kid to be a germ freak ;).

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't it just melt your heart! It's so nostalgic as they grow up and you have to let go. But how beautiful that she is so secure in her relationship with you that she isn't the slightest bit worried that you won't come back. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisette! I was thinking about what my grandma said to my mom when I was a little girl..
    "She'll NEVER go to school. She will be crying and clinging to your leg."
    because my mom co-slept and nursed me to 15 months and never put me in daycare lol. I walked off with a big smile on my face on my first day.
    And now Teagan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, how cute..
    I'm new to blogging and motherhood. I hope it doesn't go by that fast.

    EDD January 2010
    http://myblog-mayberry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete